State and federal regulations require nursing homes to have written policies covering the rights of residents. The facility must implement these policies and explain them to you.
Any person requiring nursing home care should be able to enter any nursing home and receive appropriate care, be treated with courtesy and enjoy continued civil and legal rights.
Sunset Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is committed to protecting your rights As a nursing home resident, you have the right to:
- Dignity, respect and a comfortable living environment;
- Quality of care and treatment without discrimination;
- Freedom of choice to make your own, independent decisions;
- The safeguard of your property and money;
- Safeguards in admission, transfer and discharge;
- Privacy in communications;
- Participate in organizations and activities of your choice;
- An easy to use and responsive complaint procedure;
- Exercise all of your rights without fear of reprisals.
For a more thorough explanation of your rights, ask us for the booklet "Your Rights as a Nursing Home Resident in New York State" or write to: